Thursday, May 15, 2008

Of all the things I've lost...

*original post: April 26*


I clearly have a bit of a problem.

I am constantly losing things. Hand me something, anything, and within a few minutes I am scrambling to find where I put it. I can effectively lose any object smaller than a young child (and I am not completely discounting my ability to lose one of those yet).
In a world obsessed with small things, I am slowly going insane. Tiny is better, right? WRONG! Sure, I lose normal sized things too. Shoes? Yup. Books? Check. (and checkbooks, on that note) My husband recently took over the paying of the bills, because, honestly, I kept losing them and forgetting to pay them. Out of sight, out of mind. So he told me to get him the checkbook. I did him one better... I found seven. Yes, seven checkbooks that had two or three checks written from each one, spanning the course of a year or so. It seems that when I am heading out the door to the store, or the pizzaman is knocking on the door, I can never find my checkbook. The solution? Grab a new one out of the box. So much easier than investing time in actually looking for the current one.
But I digress... my most recent loss is a teeny-tiny memory card for my digital camera. The one I recently found after misplacing it when we arrived home from Disney World (yes, that was last year. shut up.) I literally had it within less than a foot of me only moments ago, but I moved it because I was hooking up the new printer. I completely blame the printer company for this, because had the damned thing come with the USB cable, I wouldn't have had to wait two weeks to hook it up. Meaning I would have known where the memory card is... meaning I would already have those hundreds of photos uploaded to my computer.
Losing things on such a regular basis has an interesting side effect. It makes me talk to myself. I can be heard muttering the phrase, "Where the hell did it go?" repeatedly on my recovery missions. I also toss in an occasional "Goddamnit" for good measure.
Oddly enough, the missing memory card was sitting BESIDE the camera case for a few weeks. It would make sense to put it INSIDE the case, but oooh nooo! That is far too simple. No Sir, I would much rather put myself through the agony of searching for my lost treasures. At least... one would think so since I didn't take the half second it would have required to put the card in the bag.
So anyway, I have succeeded in going off on a major tangent and blogged about my plight. Now I need to get off my ass and look for that elusive card again.

Wish me luck.

0 comments: