Thursday, May 15, 2008

Post-consumer waste, anyone?

*originally posted April 26, 2008* There comes a time in any relationship where you feel the need to strangle the life out of your significant other. The longer the relationship, the more often this occurs. Lately I have been researching ways that my little family can "go green" and help reduce our impact on the earth. Every time I come across an idea that we can use, I gleefully share it with my husband. He, in turn, either nods in agreement (which means jack shit because 97% of the time he isn't listening) or thinks to himself, "Oh God, she's doing it again." The latter would occur the remaining 3% of the time, for those of you that don't hold any type of degree in the mathematics field. Well, apparently some of what I have been spouting has made it into that 3%, because he came home from work last week and said that one of his coworkers said that if we were really going to commit to a green lifestyle, we should bring our own reusable bags with us when we grocery shop. This is something that I have actually given thought to, and the only thing holding me back is that we do our shopping every other week, and purchase two weeks worth of groceries at a time. And frankly, I don't have enough bags, yet. So, I was proud that Michael had actually listened for once, and was basking in that when he hit me with this brick... "Some of these things are just too much work to actually do." WHAT? His thinking is that it is really too bothersome to bring your own bags to the grocery store, or to bring your own containers to get take-out. I just don't understand it. I, personally, get ecstatic when I can do something for the earth! The top thing on my wishlist right now is a curbside recycling program in our little city. And that is quite another situation. Austin, Texas is one of the most eco-conscious cities in the country, but here in our little podunk neck of the woods, we don't have access to recycling facilities outside of metal. I literally cringe every time I throw out a milk jug or cardboard packaging. But what am I supposed to do? I took it upon myself to email Recyclebank asking for advice on getting a program started in this area. Imagine my surprise when they didn't respond. Any sort of response would have been nice, but noooo, mine was just another unanswered email from some half-hearted tree hugger. I am thoroughly convinced that THIS is the very reason some people think it is "too much work" to recycle. The programs aren't widely available. If I had my way, recycling would be MANDATORY, and upon random inspection of your outgoing trash, if a recyclable item is found, you would be fined. Why not? The EPA forces corporations to comply, why not share the love with the consumers? I can tell you, everyone's life would be so simple if I ruled the world.

0 comments: