Thursday, May 15, 2008

Welcome to our Hearth!

*originally posted May 13*

My oldest son was in Cub Scouts. My husband was the Cub Master, and I was a Den Leader. We were very involved in the planning and implementation of everything our Pack did. And then it got to be all political, and the bullshit just overtook everything.
I always kind of held a grudge against BSA, Boy Scouts of America, because of their discriminatory ways. They pretty much mandate that you must be Christian and straight to join, whether as a leader or a Scout. As a Pagan-hybrid, I kept a low profile and was careful to adhere to the BSA rules when conducting meetings. In fact, to help maintain my 'pack persona', we even tried attending the church that sponsored our pack a few times.

A little something about me and church.... I like the singing. It moves me! I am often brought to tears hearing the voices of so many people coming together to sing in praise. However... I am also brought to tears when I hear "Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks. (a song about knocking off an abusive ex-husband) So maybe it is just music in general that moves me. I do NOT like having to dress up on Sunday morning to go and be judged by my peers. And let's face it, that is what happens. It seems to me that going to church has become something of a fashion show for some people, and if you show up in your Wal-Mart finery, well... Heaven help you. No one is outwardly mean about it, but you can sense their disgust in the sticky sweetness of their voices. But, I digress...

We decided we wanted to do scouting with Kobey, and even CJ, if he is willing; but without all the religious mumbo-jumbo. I came across something a few years ago and it has been in the back of my mind since then. Something that would have to be done on a small scale for us, because, quite frankly, I am afraid of the redneck idiots that live here. It is called Spiral Scouts, and it is based on Pagan beliefs, but is open to ALL religions, even anti-religions; all races, creeds, sexual orientations, etc. Spiral Scouts teaches the equality of both genders, respect for all living things, respect for Earth, and so much more. I registered yesterday to become a Hearth, a single-family unit involved in scouting. The kids earn badges and awards, as with the other scouting programs.

I am so very excited about this. I was kind of hoping to be able to find a larger group here, but there isn't one within 250 miles, so we are going to be self-contained for now. I will keep you informed of our status, as we are waiting to get our registration information!

0 comments: