Thursday, May 15, 2008

Procrastination Is My Specialty

*originally posted April 30*

I woke up late Tuesday morning, turned on the computer, and did my daily rituals. One of these is to glance at the calendar. Imagine my shock to realize that I had TWO DAYS until my younger son's birthday. When did this month slip past me???

I went to The Weather Channel website and checked out the forecast for this weekend, and decided we would have his birthday party on Sunday. (Saturday was out because Michael needs to mow the lawn) I called Kobey into the room and asked him what kind of party he wants, and he decided on "Dinosaurs". So I googled dinosaur birthday parties and started making lists. I sent out invitations via email, texts on my phone, and snail-mail to the Great-grandparents that don't have access to the aforementioned. I quickly decided on a menu, looked up and had Kobey approve a birthday cake design, and am now working on the "To Do List" of things that need to be done around the house before we have company. (Time to finish painting the bathroom, I guess!)

It occurs to me that I might have a fetish for working under pressure. It seems that every time we are going to have people over, I am scrambling madly at the last minute to get things done. I even do this with vacation planning. I could touch on the idea 11 months in advance (as I did with Disney World), but I won't get much accomplished until the last moments.
And this isn't something that happened recently. I was always the person in school that did their research paper the night before it was due. I did the same in college. I would be busting my ass the night before it was due (nevermind that it was assigned over a month ago!). I even was so bold as to write my midterm paper for an English Composition class THE DAY IT WAS DUE. The universe was against me that day, because the computer I was using crashed three times during the writing session, and, silly me, I had not saved my progress. I got an extension and turned it in the following day. Oh yes, and I got an A. Along with a note that I should major in English, as I did such a fantastic job. Amazing.

Oh, did I mention that I am also planning a camping trip for NEXT weekend? I'll let you know how that goes, as we have NO camping equipment anymore. It will be interesting to see if I can pull it off!

0 comments: